Spent quite a bit of time investigating an “IE bug”. What happened: a particular AJAX request would work fine in Firefox but nothing would happen in IE6. Obvious steps were to monitor request and response (all fine), JS imports in files (all fine).
I found out today that MS Sql server seems to handle Unicode in a very special way. Instead of having some support a database or table level, each Unicode column have to be created as “national”. That is be either nchar, nvarchar or ntext.
The natural sort order for String fields is 0-9 A-Z so it seems a custom sorter is needed. I guess this is a normal request for any application that does a little sorting so I am surprised nothing came up during a search.
Changes in Hibernate Search are quite frequent, as it is in continued development. Today I found myself looking into a problem generated by migration from Hibernate-Lucene integration in 3.2.1.GA to the new Hibernate Search 3.0.0.Beta1.
Seeing this thread on DWR mailing list, I thought I’d post one way to deal with DWR response. The actual problem was initiated by someone asking what’s the best way to display status messages to users using DWR.
A while ago I was asked to take a WiFi router and add some bell and whistles to its interface. It was one of those small NAT boxes – nothing more than a LAN switch and a WLAN access point strapped to a 200 MHz system-on-a-chip running Linux. ucLinux, to be exact.